Sunday 31 July 2016

On Transportation, Safety And Flying Doors.


photo credits: Bello Atolagbe


"States get to improve transportation infrastructure; that creates economic development, puts people back to work and, most important, enhances safety and improves local communities."
                     -Corrine Brown

Let’s go back to the quote and highlight this part, “…... most important, enhances safety…..”.  . Safety is thrown out of the door, and in some cases the door follows safety on its way out. Commuting with public transportation, buses to be precise, has to be one risky venture.  Putting to consideration the conditions of these buses, which look like the Nigerian economy. Worst still the drivers, who- no offense to some of them- are supposed to be in a nursing home, retiring. They don’t look like people who could easily maneuver a vehicle out of danger when the time comes. Suffice to say, they lack the physical strength. What leaves me in bewilderment is the excuse that the influence, be it alcohol or otherwise that they are under when they drive, is a source of ‘power’ of sort. I go agape, like sir? How? In developed countries, you could be thrown into jail for this.
In Lagos, it’s the young and reckless that commandeer the buses, although a job well done by  Babatunde Raji Fashola on the transportation front for the provision of BRT buses. While in Port-Harcourt, majority are senior citizens. The other day I was to board a bus to Mile 3 from Choba. I headed to the bus station; the bus that was on the terminal was almost full. Oh, lucky me I thought. I jumped in, and sat on the seat closest to the door besides the driver. Figuring out how to close the door was a hustle, it was tougher than the thermodynamics class I took in my second year in the university. Not for my lack of mechanical comprehension, but for my not being acquainted with such ‘technique-oriented’ machines. I never knew cars required such special skills to close their doors. I digress. Anyway, on getting in, it was a sight to behold,
the state of the car was deplorable, the gears were rusted, the steering wheel was almost missing, even the bus was almost missing, save for the frame work and the engine. The highlight of the transport was when the door fell off along the way. Its no wonder though, when a bus for 14 carries 18 passengers all stacked like sardines.
            Thankfully, no one got hurt. I’m positive that the lady who sat by the door secretly thanked her stars. Considering the fight she almost got into with a man who came after her but didn’t want to sit at the back. That’s the new style, to avoid going in to sit at the back; they linger by the door and wait for all others to enter before they do. Safety first, when you want to do so such, be sure to check the state of the door to be sure it’s not like that of the Nigerian economy.


Share your transportation experiences with us in the comment section.



4 comments:

  1. Thumbs up.
    Nice writing skills , you already know.
    Okay, my experience was kinda strange but something to write about. Weeks ago I embarked on a journey to Lagos. When we got to Berger some guys were smoking weed, wrapping and passing weed on the road. Isn't weed illegal in Nigeria? I was in shock. And these guys are bus drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? weed? And we keep our safety in their hands

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol I chuckled at the comparison with the Nigerian economy...it certainly needs help.

    The public transport industry is plagued by neglect. And it's really sad.
    Nice write up.
    If I start sharing my own experiences, I'd take over this blog lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The ills of commercial transportation" as someone succinctly put it.

      Delete

TELL US HOW YOU FEEL